A short post to celebrate that it is December 1st and I have moved to a self-hosted wordpress provider.
This is the simple problem to the error “The workbook ‘http://<site name>/<workbook name>.xlsx’ attempted to access external data using the unsupported provider ‘Provider=MSOLAP.6….'”
I am preparing a session for the upcoming SQL Saturday in Ljubjana where I will speak about SharePoint as a BI platform. Building my demos I ran into an error I haven’t seen for a long time so I thought I ‘ll document it :
There is nothing new about not being able to refresh a data connection. But in this case the reason why is new in this context (the important part is in red) :
The workbook ‘http://<site name>/<workbook name>.xlsx’ attempted to access external data using the unsupported provider ‘Provider=MSOLAP.6;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=True;Initial Catalog=Adventure Works OLAP;Data Source=spbi;MDX Compatibility=1;Safety Options=2;MDX Missing Member Mode=Error’. [Session: 1.V21.1pvdSznxx6cIO5im9MU4814.5.en-US5.en-US36.eb5b8203-afa7-434f-bfc1-d9a982439b571.A1.N User: 0#.w|thelovefarmrba]
There are a few providers registered in Excel Services under Manage Service Application –> Excel Services Application –> Trusted data providers. But MSOLAP.6 which is used by Excle 2013 was not one of them :
So I added it as an OLE DB provider and it solved the problem !!
Happy SharePointing !!